Having a good product or service is not enough; people need to know about it. Having a website is not enough; the search engines need to know about it and rank your pages high for the phrases that you want to be found for. But let’s not make it too cryptic; here are 10 easy to implement marketing tips that will proper your business to the top!
1. Make sure your website’s domain name says something. Having an acronym as your website address may mean a lot to you, but your prospective customers may have a hard time remembering (the right order of) all those letters.
2. Make your business card stand out visually, and include an email address that incorporates your domain name. So rather use name @ mydomain.com than name_number @ gmail.com.
3. Always carry enough business cards with you. Sounds pretty basic, I know, but you will be amazed at how many people I meet who have accidentally left them at the office.
4. Testimonials can help you build a lot of trust. And don’t just type them out on your website; include a PDF on the testimonial giver’s letterhead as well.
5. Sending out invoices by mail? You know, the kind that requires a stamp? Why not include a special offer in the envelope of every invoice and statement? And you could get even more creative: pay another company servicing the same demographic as you to insert your promotional materials into their invoice envelopes.
6. Partner with other companies, and let them give something away on your behalf. You could return the favor for them, and promote your business without any money changing hands. Smart bartering can work wonders for you.
7. Are you a small business targeting other local businesses? Think about banner advertising on prominent local websites and portals, or send a mailing to the local Chamber of Commerce members. A small fee will likely apply, but these actions will certainly make you visible to your target audience.
8. Video. You can either create short movies to post on YouTube and other video directories, as well as on your own website. Or, you could develop a DVD to send or give away. Costs do not have to be high, and the impact can be great!
9. Are you an expert in your field? Write a blog or post on online forums to establish your credibility. And apart from presenting yourself as a knowledgeable person you are also building powerful links to your website, which will improve your search engine visibility.
10. Are you newsworthy (yet)? It doesn’t have to be too hard to make the (local) news. Come up with a contest or align yourself with a local charity. And remember to always send out press releases to local news outlets, as well as online press release directories.
No rocket science, I know. But it ain’t about what you know – it’s about what you do. So go out and implement a few of the items above; it will make a difference, I promise you.